Malkolm is cycling on! He is now cycling from Alaska to Washington DC, and then continuing on to the UN Climate Change conference in Cancun in December.
It all started with Bird Year, Malkolm and his parents' year-long, fossil-fuel-free journey in search of birds. Cycling a total of 13,133 miles (21,144 km), they identified 548 different bird species and raised more than $25,000 for bird conservation. Bird Year turned them into confirmed cyclists and taught them that climate change was more serious than they had thought.
In 2009, Malkolm biked from Whitehorse to Ottawa as a part of Pedal for the Planet: the project called for the Canadian Government to become a leader in the struggle to come to grips with climate change. The Harper Government did not even meet with the young cyclists.
Malkolm is now 18 and just finished high school. On August 24, he dipped his foot in the Pacific Ocean in Skagway, Alaska. Then headed up and over the White Pass to the Alaska Highway on his journey to Washington and on to Cancun.



Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rain is a pain

A semi-trailer packed with cattle thundered by, enveloping me in a brownish mist reeking of cow feces. Being passed by a livestock truck is bad enough when its dry- when it’s raining it’s an experience. There are plenty of other unpleasant realities of cycling through day after day of rain; panniers full of wet and musty nylon clothes, leather cycling gloves that are slimy when soaked, sleeping in a damp and clammy sleeping bag… the list goes on monotonously like a prairie highway.
It rained during eight of the ten days it took me to cycle from Rocky Mountain House, Alberta to Avon, Montana. Rain isn’t all bad though- the chronically cloudy weather helped me save money on sunscreen and reduced my susceptibility to skin cancer.
A few mornings ago I even found myself actually appreciating the rain. I’d miscalculated my water supply as I cycled south from Glacier National Park, ending up on a desolate stretch of highway with only half of a nalgene of water. Once it got dark I pulled off to a clearing next to the road and set up my tent. I poured two thirds of the valuable liquids into my pot to cook linguini, then wasted little time in knocking the pot off my stove and spilling the contents into the dirt. I salvaged most of the noodles but the water was gone. I couldn’t afford to use any more water to cook the pasta so I ate the noodles half raw, chewing carefully and spitting out the gravel that had stuck to the spilled pasta.
I was out of water by the morning- but thankfully it had rained overnight. For breakfast I ate handfuls of dry raisin bran, sipping water droplets off tree leaves to help the cereal go down. I cycled for thirty kilometers before finally reaching Seeley Lake, Montana: population 1,580. I searched for a grocery store where I could fill my water bottles and stomach, but I was out of luck. If however I wanted to go to church, I’d have four to choose from.
At the far end of town I found a gas station with a convenience store. I refilled my water bottles from the sink in their dingy bathroom, then searched the shelves of food for something edible. Chips? No. Cheesies? No. Little Debbie’s doughnuts? Not quite that desperate. “There’s more food over there,” said the woman behind the counter, pointing towards cases of hot dogs, hamburgers and beef burritos. I wasted a minute inspecting the cases for a meat-free option, but I should have known better. Finding vegetarian food in small-town Montana is as hard as to find as a mosque in Manhattan. In the corner I spied a tray of what appeared to be doughnuts, though it was hard to tell under all the icing. They looked disgusting. I bought three and sat at a picnic table outside to eat.
The flavour of the goodies gave no clues to their identities, so I dissected one. It was a cinnamon bun. I looked up at the stars and stripes flying against a backdrop of gray skies, then back at my cinnamon bun. Was today an unpleasant ordeal or part of the American experience?

19 comments:

Oak Mountain Fan said...

Good luck, Malkolm, and stay safe. We're behind you 100%.

beant bajwa said...

Limo Hire Manchester offer top quality limousine hire in the Manchester, Lancashire and all NorthWest surrounding areas. Hummer limos to jeep limos to wedding cars. Get a free quote now.

beant bajwa said...

Stretch limos for hire from the UK's leading limo hire company Limoz.co.uk - Book your luxury limo transport and arrive in style. Nationwide service available

beant bajwa said...

Cheap Limo Hire offers low cost limousine hire in London, Midlands, Lancashire and UK. Whether you need to hire a pink limo, wedding limo or a super stretched Hummer, speak to us today and arrive in style.

carol.m said...

Hey Malkolm!

Great to hear what you are up to. Where are you now.
Are you riding by yourself. Will you meet up with Ken and Wendy in Cancun. (my new keyboard does not have a question mark!)

Carol and Katy

metaspencer said...

Tough times on the road! (Great reading about your adventures.)

yowan said...

Great information shared here, I liked it very much and would be sharing this with others so that they can also take advantage of it.

dburlison said...

Well done site-very interesting/informative.great deals.

Travel Safe- WORLD TRAVEL UPDATES-FOREIGN TRAVEL GUIDE (And great travel deals):

http://www.travelaskthelocals.yolasite.com

(Feel free to post on our forum)

Adnan said...

that sounds a great adventurous way of travel, I am definitely going for one like that. thanks for sharing.
best taxi drivers

Adnan said...

afgasdgads

The Nomadic Nepali said...

Its for sure great adventure..especially you are raising issue of climate change which I am really impressed.
I am freshman with Environment management major in Nepal and I want to work in the field of Nepal.We to face bad influence of climate change and to understand it I walked across Great Himalaya Trail(2000km) in Nepal alone in 128days.
Salute to your adventure.

Unknown said...

well as far my concern is i simply love all the weathers cant be stick around with only one weather and love to see & observe the changing came rapidly in climate recently came from dordogne where i actually see the change in weather it was great.

Unknown said...

Yes, travel budget is definitely one of the most important feature that can not be ignored in any cases as the whole budget decides what to do or not. So this blog is very informative as it’s main focus is on budget. Thanks for Share

http://www.vacationinindia.org/north-india-tour/index.html

Unknown said...


Admin, if not okay please remove!

Our facebook group “selfless” is spending this month spreading awareness on prostate cancer & research with a custom t-shirt design. Purchase proceeds will go to cancer.org, as listed on the shirt and shirt design.

www.teespring.com/prostate-cancer-research

Thanks

Admin said...

Аrе уоu іn nееd оf flights to London ? Yоu dо nоt hаvе tо wоrrу fоr аnуthіng bесаusе уоu wіll nоt mіss аnу оf уоur flіght аs wеll аs bе strаndеd аt thе аіrроrt fоr lоngеr hоurs. Тhеrе аrе tоns оf саbs thаt саn tаkе уоu аnуwhеrе уоu wаnt. Тахіs іn Lоndоn аrе еsресіаllу dеsіgnеd fоr tоurіsts lіkе уоu. Тахі sеrvісеs іs whаt еvеrуbоdу nееds whеthеr уоu аrе а tоurіsts оr а lосаl, thе nееd fоr tахі sеrvісеs іs аlwауs thеrе 24/7. For more visit : plane tickets to london

Saad Khan said...

Nice Blog. Thanks for Sharing.
Toronto Pearson Airport Taxi - Airport Taxi Toronto

Aurora Airport Taxi Service said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kieran king said...

that sounds a great adventurous way of travel, I am definitely going for one like that. thanks for sharing.
SV Limos

Hemmaharry said...

Good information. Thanks for sharing.
limo hire birmingham